There are plenty of reasons to save. You can save for a short term goal, save for unexpected events or you can save save for long term . No matter the reason, it is important for everyone to save money, no matter the amount of money you make. Here’s some tips to help you save as much money as you can!
- Make a clear goal! Many people are just saving whatever they have left after they buy everything they want and need for the month. A better method is to determine how much you want in a certain time frame. Example: To save 10,000 in 2 years you would need to save $417 a month (Rounded up from $416.66). This not only lets you know the exact amount you have to save for your goal but the exact amount you need to to have left over after you pay for all of your allotments. If you do no have the monthly amount to meet your goal, this lets you know that you need to either increase your cash flow or cut back on some of your expenses.
- Once you create your goal you will need to follow through. Create a savings account and create a recurring transfer to this account monthly.! You need to keep your saving separate so that you get into the habit of only spending the money you have left for spending purposes. This may mean you have to stretch your last $20 till the end of the month.
- When your making your budget be sure to give yourself some extra cash for the unexpected life occurrences. You want to leave at least $50 a month and if you have any left over, save it for the next month! This way you don’t have to keep dipping into the savings while your in the process of growing it! You will thank me when you’re prepared for that extra coolant, flat tire or any other lower cost expense
- Don’t forget to leave a little something for you! No struggle comes without sacrifice. To keep you motivated and inspired to work hard, I think its crucial to be able to have a small treat for yourself every now and then. You know your spending habits and what a “treat” would be for you so this exact figure should be determined by you . As long as you can afford this extra expense in your monthly budget, it will work!
- UPDATED! Another Tip to consider is that paying off a recurring bill does not mean free money! That money should immediately be allotted to another bill or become a part of your savings. I Really hope these tips will work for you! Let me know if you had an “AHA” moment or if you plan to use any of my tips! Be sure to check out our blog post about saving money on groceries here! Subscribe for updates on our next post about How to Create a Budget that works!